Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. The difference between potential and achievement lies in the spark that fuels innovation and inventiveness; this is the space where Merck has codified its legacy for over a century. Merck’s success is backed by ethical integrity, forward momentum, and an inspiring mission to achieve new milestones in global healthcare.
Merck is on a quest for cures and is committed to being the world’s premier, most research-intensive biopharmaceutical company. Today, we’re doubling down on this goal. Merck Research Laboratories is a true scientific research facility of tomorrow, and will take Merck’s leading discovery capabilities and world-class small molecule and biologics R&D expertise to create breakthrough science that radically changes the way we approach serious diseases.
Merck is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and consumer health products, as well as animal health products. Today, we are building a new kind of healthcare company – one that is ready to help create a healthier future for all of us.
Our ability to excel depends on the integrity, knowledge, imagination, skill, diversity and teamwork of people like you. To this end, we strive to create an environment of mutual respect, encouragement and teamwork. As part of our global team, you’ll have the opportunity to collaborate with talented and dedicated colleagues while developing and expanding your career.
Under the guidance of an Executive Director, Oncology Product Lead, an Associate Director has the primary responsibility for planning and managing real world evidence activities for in-line and developmental Merck drugs on a worldwide basis.
This includes all phases of outcomes research and real world evidence needs including design and implementation of retrospective database studies, assessment of patient reported outcomes (PROs), epidemiological studies and economic modeling. The incumbent works closely with Customer Business Line teams, Regional Product Directors, MSD affiliates, Public Affairs, Medical Education and Merck Research Laboratories (MRL) colleagues to ensure programs are consistent with marketing strategies in key countries. The incumbent also contributes to product development and marketing strategies to ensure that product value is defined and developed.
- Participates in Value and Evidence Sub-teams (VEST) and provides leadership in developing the OR strategies and plans for developmental compounds and obtains cross-divisional senior management approval
- Critically assesses drivers and barriers to reimbursement and market access, identifying value evidence needs to provide input into clinical and market development programs.
- Implements programs to document disease burden and unmet need, PRO components, and health economic aspects of disease and the value of drug therapy as outlined in the OR planning process/map and generates data on a worldwide basis to support pricing and reimbursement
- Develops value evidence deliverables (e.g., health economic evaluations) and their adaptation to generate country-specific data supporting pricing and reimbursement.
- Works closely with the VEST team members to develop OR plans for Merck in-line and developmental products based on the regulatory, marketing and reimbursement/HTA environments on a worldwide basis; including US specific market needs. Works with MRL colleagues, MSD affiliates and consultants to write, coordinate, and validate as required, study design, protocols, measurement questionnaires, case report forms, data analysis plans, and final reports/publications
- Works with the Merck Investigator Study Program Committee to evaluate outcomes research study protocols for studies in local markets
- Supports MSD affiliates to understand local needs, adapt health economic evaluations, customize Outcomes Research documents such as protocols and reimbursement dossiers, which includes the development of the worldwide template document including global value dossier and input forms, design of data collection forms for customization to countries, and in collaboration with MSD affiliates, adaptation of the document according to local requirements
- Works closely with other departments (i.e. GHH and Public Affairs) to effectively develop/ communicate OR data and consistent messages throughout Merck and to external customers
- Responsible for maintaining awareness of scientific developments within his/her areas of expertise, both in terms of new methodology and new activities to establish communications with key outcomes research opinion leaders
- Builds relationships with health economic and outcomes research experts worldwide.
- Presents outcomes research data at international/national congresses and publishes articles in scientific journals
- At least Master’s Degree Required from a recognized school of medicine, public health, management, pharmacy, or economics
- Doctoral (preferred) degree from a recognized school of medicine, public health, management, pharmacy, or economicsMS
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in the design and implementation of clinical, epidemiological, or health economic studies
- Doctoral degree with 3 years relevant experience or doctoral training preferred
- Demonstrated expertise in the field of outcomes research, epidemiology or health economics preferred
- Excellent leadership and strategic thinking skills
- A track record of scientific presentations and publications
Your role at Merck is integral to helping the world meet new breakthroughs that affect generations to come, and we’re counting on your skills and inventiveness to help make meaningful contributions to global medical advancement. At Merck, we’re inventing for life.
If you need an accommodation for the application process please email us at email@example.com.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit: