POSITION TITLE: Senior Director, Communications – Beer Division
LOCATION / DEPARTMENT: Chicago / Beer Division Communications
REPORTS TO: Vice President, Communications & CSR
The Senior Director, Communications – Beer Division will serve as a strategic business partner who provides expertise, guidance and counsel to senior Beer Division executives and other corporate stakeholders, while leading a team that creates and executes strategies to support and help drive Constellation’s Beer Division strategy. Based in Chicago, IL, this position is responsible for all Beer Division public relations activities in the U.S., including (but not limited to) press relations, issues management and crisis communications, product publicity, and motion picture product placement. This position is also responsible for all Beer Division executive and strategic internal communication activities in the U.S. This individual will also leverage company sponsorships, provide counsel for the purpose of enhancing marketing programs, and generate positive brand exposure for the company and its fast-growing beer portfolio. The Senior Director, Communications – Beer Division will lead a team of two individuals and will report directly to Mike McGrew, Vice President, Communications & CSR for Constellation Brands, and on a dotted line basis to Jim Sabia, Senior Vice President and Chief Marketing Officer for the Beer Division.
· Cultivate relationships and work closely with the Beer Division executive team to develop and manage executive communication strategies both within the Beer Division and externally.
· Develop, manage and execute the Beer Division’s internal communication strategies and activities that support the company’s business strategy, major initiatives, organizational changes and vision, mission and values. This includes developing and distributing content via the company’s Intranet and other internal communication channels.
· Manage the Crisis Communications response on issues that could impact the company or its beer portfolio. Monitor emerging media developments, special interest groups, events and causes to respond as needed and minimize negative exposure for the company and its beer portfolio.
· Develop and execute public relations plans for each beer brand and for the Beer Division as a whole. Work closely with consumer, business and trade media to cultivate positive media coverage, execute media interviews and ensure timely distribution of press materials, media pitching and placement.
· Serve as an official company spokesperson. Handle all media inquiries while fielding questions and developing interview opportunities for the company and its beer portfolio. Train and coach senior Beer Division executives to serve effectively as company spokespersons. Handle consumer and special interest group complaints and inquiries on a national basis for all brands in the portfolio.
· Generate publicity for the introduction of new products and packages via an integrated public relations launch campaign.
· Manage outside agencies, internal staff and freelancers as needed to accomplish the public relations objectives for the company and respective brands.
· Manage, mentor and develop a team of two Communications Managers.
· Minimum of 12 years of experience in progressively more responsible roles in corporate communications or public relations within a consumer-oriented corporate environment with a proven history of supporting and achieving business goals. Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications or related field is required.
· Ideal candidate will have depth in both internal and external corporate communications, and the confidence to provide effective advice, counsel and coaching on communications issues to executives, managers and colleagues.
· Relevant issues management and crisis communications experience in addition to multifaceted experience in media and consumer relations, brand / product publicity, special events and promotions. Must have experience generating positive media coverage, pitching media stories, writing press releases and other materials and have developed media contacts.
· Must have strong organizational, time management and project prioritization skills with the ability to handle a multitude of projects and constantly changing priorities with minimal supervision and a small team.
· Must possess outstanding written and verbal communications, excellent attention to detail and proofing skills.
· Must possess the ability to build strong working relationships with people at all levels throughout the organization. Must demonstrate enthusiasm for the business and its goals, infecting others internally and externally with a shared sense of optimism and excitement for the bright future ahead. Must communicate with passion, energy, intensity and excitement, using compelling arguments to make their case, but coming to a point quickly.
· The Senior Director, Communications – Beer Division will work with the Beer Division senior management team and Corporate Communications team to develop and articulate a clear, compelling vision of where the Beer Division is headed. Must be an independent thinker, capable of generating innovative strategies and approaches for addressing communication opportunities and challenges that may lie ahead. This individual will need to communicate the vision in creative, progressive and persuasive terms to external and internal constituencies.
· Assertive self-starter with the ability to operate independently and proactively develop communications solutions that support business objectives.
· High degree of business and financial acumen and an ability to think strategically and develop measurable plans that support the company’s business objectives.
· Ability to effectively manage outside agencies in the building and execution of strategic communications programs that deliver results on time and on budget and help drive the company’s success.
· Strong leadership skills, executive presence, and ability to influence without authority.
· Ability to serve as a strategic advisor / coach that maximizes leaders’ effectiveness as communicators.
· Operate with the highest level of ethics and integrity. Ability to appropriately handle confidential / proprietary information.
· Ability to prioritize, juggle multiple priorities, and meet deadlines while delivering high quality work.
· Results-oriented, with the ability to deliver results that impact business performance.
· Spanish-speaking capabilities a plus.