Merck & Co., Inc. Kenilworth, N.J., U.S.A. known as Merck in the United States and Canada, is a global health care leader with a diversified portfolio of prescription medicines, vaccines and animal health products. The difference between potential and achievement lies in the spark that fuels innovation and inventiveness; this is the space where Merck has codified its legacy for over a century. Merck’s success is backed by ethical integrity, forward momentum, and an inspiring mission to achieve new milestones in global healthcare.
Merck’s Oncology organization is dedicated to delivering breakthrough innovations that extend and improve the lives of cancer patients worldwide. Our team of dauntless, forward-thinking individuals achieves this through an unwavering commitment to supporting accessibility to medicine, providing new therapeutic procedures, and collaborating with governments and payers to ensure that people who need medicines have access to them. At Merck, our focus is on innovation and launch execution excellence; we translate breakthrough science into innovative medicines that help people with cancer across the globe.
The Director, Associate IML is a head-quarter based position and will partner with the IML, and be accountable for supporting Medical Affairs activities for a specific oncology product(s) and/or indication(s) across countries in OGMA. The Director, Associate IML will collaborate with a team of Regional Directors of Medical Affairs and/or Medical Affairs Strategy Leaders who develop and execute medical affairs plans in the regions and assist with country medical affairs activities.
Under the supervision of the IML, the Director, Associate IML contributes to the development and execution of the most efficient, integrated oncology global medical affairs/scientific strategy including but not limited to scientific evidence generation and scientific information exchange with all key stakeholders for the assigned product(s) and/or indication(s). The Director, Associate IML works closely with the IMLs, Regional Medical Leads , Product Development Teams, and Global Marketing Strategy Leads, coordinates strategies, and informs all major stakeholders of unmet needs and facilitate appropriate approaches to address them.
Primary Activities include but are note limited to the following:
- In collaboration with the IML. the Director, Associate IML will contribute to the development and execution of medical activities for a product and/or indication through the lifecycle ensuring integrity of the scientific content and sound medical governance. Maintain and expand value proposition of specific products as a key OGMA collaborator within the PDT subteams and with MRL, Commercial, Safety, MMD, Regulatory Market access and other stakeholders, ensuring appropriate decisions are based on customer feedback.
- In collaboration with the IML. the Director, Associate IML strengthens Merck’s medical reputation in Oncology through successful management of medical dimensions of the products ensuring that prescribers can understand the appropriate use of our medicines and ensure the patient remains at the center of our decision making. Contribute to the development and execution of the Medical Affairs plans for the specific Oncology product and/or indication as well as developing medical expertise/ transferring knowledge across the regions for this product/ indication.
- In collaboration with the IML. the Director, Associate IML coordinates medical input and insights into multiple internal functions across all geographies
- Understand the impact of new data on the value/ positioning of products in major guidelines/ formularies and proactively identify unmet medical needs and how to address them. Foresee potential changes in the healthcare, regulatory and competitive environments throughout the products lifespan.
- Liaise with affiliates to ensure cross fertilization of relevant medical information
- Provide medical input for approval of medical and scientific content of Medical Affairs and Commercial outputs
- Maintain external orientation by participating actively in external Oncology events and activities. In collaboration with the IML. the Director, Associate IML participate in the appropriate engagement with key SLs and the external community in close collaboration with the regional/ country colleagues
- Assess risks and identify issues, conflicts or gaps across programs and regions
- Works collaboratively with:
- International Medical Leaders
- Oncology Regional Medical Leaders
- Cooperative Groups
- Medical Affairs
- Global Clinical Trials Organization
- MD preferred with experience in Medical Oncology/Indication; PhD considered
Required Experience and Skills:
- A minimum of five (5) years of experience (prefer 5-8 years) at a pharmaceutical or biotechnology company including medical affairs experience (product lifecycle management) in Oncology
- Comfort and confidence in working with diverse teams and backgrounds
- In a matrix environment, able to effectively collaborate with and influence
Preferred Experience and Skills:
- Pharmaceutical industry and healthcare environment
- Familiarity with key medical/scientific experts in the Oncology/ indication
- International experience
- In-line and pipeline product knowledge as well as of the competitive landscape, clinical practice trends and treatment guideline evolution.
- Working knowledge of international healthcare environments
- In-depth understanding of the scientific method and clinical applications based on medical, scientific and practical rationale.
- Must demonstrate excellent communication skills and Merck leadership principles.
- Ability to articulate the value of clinical and health outcome data
- Sound scientific and clinical judgment
- Collaborate cross-functionally and able to integrate broad medical, scientific and commercial input into program development
- Ability to effectively present ideas and document complex medical/clinical concepts in both written and oral communication.
- Understanding of new drug commercialization and business practices.
- Understanding of resourcing and budgeting.
- Customer driven and ability to understand patient needs and institutional concerns and integrate into strategies
Your role at Merck is integral to helping the world meet new breakthroughs that affect generations to come, and we’re counting on your skills and inventiveness to help make meaningful contributions to global medical advancement. At Merck, we’re inventing for life.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to email@example.com.
Search Firm Representatives Please Read Carefully:
Merck & Co., Inc. is not accepting unsolicited assistance from search firms for this employment opportunity. Please, no phone calls or emails. All resumes submitted by search firms to any employee at Merck via email, the Internet or in any form and/or method without a valid written search agreement in place for this position will be deemed the sole property of Merck. No fee will be paid in the event the candidate is hired by Merck as a result of the referral or through other means.
Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
For more information about personal rights under Equal Employment Opportunity, visit: