Job Title: Manager, Applications
Job Function: Information Technology
Northern Trust’s Digital Process Automation development team is in a need for an experienced and results-oriented Development Manager to manage an application development unit or function. Under general direction, has duties managing all development activities of Enterprise Content Management/Digital Process Automation initiatives, instructing, directing, and checking the work of other development personnel. Formulates and executes a system strategy for content management growth for both functionality and content. Responsible for directing and monitoring the work of team members. May be responsible for project completion and user satisfaction.
As the development team manager, you will conduct the performance management process, identify training and development needs and establish performance standards for the development unit/function. Candidate must have strong experience with Enterprise Content Management/Digital Process Automation product suites such as IBM Content Foundation/Case Manager, SharePoint, O365 etc... and solutions and excellent communication and leadership skills. Candidate must have the ability to successfully direct technical projects and consult with business unit partners to determine the most effective systems to solve business problems.
1. Manages an application development unit or function. Establishes performance standards for the unit, conducts the performance management process, and identifies training and career development needs.
2. Determines staffing needs, makes hiring and firing decisions, handles salary administration, and ensures resources are available to accomplish priorities.
3. Provides input and support to budget management process
4. Participates in developing the business unit strategic plan and sets goals and priorities based on the direction set for the unit. Follows through to ensure that objectives are met and exceeded.
5. Consults with business unit partners to determine the most effective IT solution to solve business problems or address business needs. May also work closely with business unit partners, production support team(s) to define and review service level agreements and to ensure services meet or exceed business needs.
6. Directs technology projects, including project planning, management status reporting, systems specifications and implementation. May also implement and help identify measures to improve applications stability and availability, sustain and improve cost efficiencies and productivity gains.
7. Ensures compliance with all Vendor Management Practice Standards for monitoring, documentation and performance review requirements.
8. Communicates with various business areas and outside vendors, consultants, employees regarding Enterprise Content Management, Digital Process Automation, Information Lifecycle Governance needs.
9. Ensures compliance with all audit requirements including change control procedures and data security.
10. Provides leadership and guidance to staff, fostering an environment that encourages employee participation, teamwork, and communication.
11. Advises systems staff on the impact of systems enhancements to existing designs
12. Seasoned multi-disciplinary expert with extensive technical and/or business knowledge and functional expertise.
13. Displays a balanced, cross-functional perspective, liaising with business to improve efficiency, effectiveness and productivity.
14. Carries out activities that are large in scope, cross-functional and technically difficult
15. Normal office environment. Subject to stressful situations as they relate to deadlines.
Some non-business hours work may be required to perform upgrades, deployments, or maintenance as needed.
1. A College or University degree in Computer Science and/or relevant proven experience is required.
2. At least 10 years of IT experience, with experience defining and implementing modern solution design.
3. Broad & deep technical knowledge and expertise required in the area of Enterprise Content Management, Digital Process Automation, Information Lifecycle Governance product suites and solutions such as IBM ECM Suite (FileNet , Case Foundation, Case Manager), SharePoint, O365 etc..
4. Experience with Agile development methodologies
5. Ability to provides blueprints, guidance, and mentoring for development teams to ensure implementation of a solution that utilizes patterns and frameworks appropriately and is in compliance with SDLC, SSDLC, Audit, and industry best practices and standards.
6. Demonstrated track record of successful project execution and delivery
7. Strong process orientation, analysis and critical thinking skills
8. Dynamic leadership ability to motivate and drive development team to greater productivity and successful implementation of solutions
9. Remains current with all technology in the domain, even if not immediately relevant.
10. Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written. Ability to communicate technical topics to business partners in terms they understand. Experience presenting to, and interacting with, Senior Managers.
11. Proactive in uncovering, diagnosing and resolving current or potential issues.
12. Strategic thinking and business acumen.
13. Proven ability to successfully lead, develop and manage employees with a direct or dotted reporting line to successfully achieve collective goals and objectives.
14. Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain effective partnerships within and outside the organization.
15. Consistent adherence to high standards of ethical behavior, confidentiality, and professionalism.
For more than a century, Northern Trust has worked hard building our legacy of outstanding service, expertise and integrity. From a Chicago-based bank founded in 1889, we now have more than 20 international locations and 16,500 employees globally. We serve the world’s most-sophisticated clients – from sovereign wealth funds and the wealthiest individuals and families, to the most-successful hedge funds and corporate brands.
We burnished our reputation as a global leader delivering innovative investment management, asset and fund administration, fiduciary and banking solutions enabled by sophisticated, leading technology. And through it all, we continually laid a solid, forward-looking foundation on which future generations can continue growing and achieving greater.
As of September 30, 2017, Northern Trust Corporation had:
$131 billion in banking assets
$7.8 trillion in assets under custody
$9.7 trillion in assets under custody/administration
$1.1 trillion in assets under management