As the Managing Director of Institutional Giving, you are a critical member of Teach For America - Dallas-Fort Worth’s External Affairs team. The External Affairs team is responsible for garnering the resources necessary to enable our Teach For America program and achieve maximum community impact. In short, this team raises funds and builds awareness for achieving educational equity in DFW.
As the Managing Director of Institutional Giving, you are responsible for maintaining and increasing foundation and corporate financial support for Teach For America (approximately $3M-$4M annually). You will do this by cultivating, soliciting, and stewarding foundation donors and prospects; developing top-notch written proposals and reports; overseeing a Director of Corporate Relations to raise approximately $1M+ of your total goal; and driving the strategy for Institutional Giving. To be successful you must be comfortable in an entrepreneurial environment, be a great writer and strategic thinker, and be able to independently organize, prioritize, track and manage time bound projects with an exceptional attention to detail and a high bar for quality. The Managing Director of Institutional Giving will manage two direct reports, and report directly to the SMD, Development.
Among large urban areas, Dallas ranks 3rd in child poverty, and only 14% of high school students in Dallas County graduate ready to succeed in college. At Teach For America Dallas-Fort Worth, we seek to work in partnership with the Dallas-Fort Worth community to dramatically increase college readiness for students. In support of this effort, Teach For America Dallas-Fort Worth will impact 100,000 students daily throughout the Metroplex by the end of the decade.
We need great leaders to join us in our work to end educational inequity. At Teach For America Dallas-Fort Worth we aim to be essential talent pipeline of teachers, school and district leaders, non-profit leaders, political leaders, social entrepreneurs and beyond who are able to change the odds for kids in the Metroplex. We believe that enlisting, developing and retaining top talent is essential to moving the needle for students in our community.
· Setting Vision & Direction (15%): Create the short- and long-range Institutional Giving development vision and plans (strategic and operational); set goals and benchmarks; develop strategies; assess progress to goals, and ensure effectiveness.
· Portfolio Management & Stewardship (40%): Manage a portfolio of Foundation donors to raise $2.0M-$2.5M annually, primarily leveraging proposal and report development, writing, and solicitation. Cultivate, solicit and steward Foundation donors, primarily by leveraging the SMD, Development and Executive Director to secure $100k+ gifts. Develop, implement, and execute donor engagement plans, including meetings, events, and correspondence.
· General Management (30%). Manage, coach, and develop two direct reports (Director of Corporate Relations, and the Manager, Grants & Americorps). Direct and supervise the Institutional Giving sub team, including leading the Director of Corporate Relations to raise $1.0M-$1.5M annually and overseeing Americorps program management and grant compliance.
· Organizational Stewardship (5%). Serve as key leader on TFA-DFW regional team, modeling our consistently modeling our core values and staff expectations. Actively participate in regional leadership groups, as determined
· Other (10%). Actively participate in all-staff regional activities such as: staff meetings and retreats, corps member professional development conferences (quarterly on Saturday), corps member confirmation calls, corps member interviewing days, and corps member Orientation Week (June).
· Bachelor’s Degree Required
· 7+ years of previous work experience preferred; previous experience working for a non-profit or in sales preferred
· Exceptional written and verbal communication skills
· Strong ability to conduct research and translate data into actionable solutions
· Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
· Strong ability to prioritize tasks and demonstrate good judgment
· Strong ability to build relationships and tailor approach toward the perspective of others across a variety of stakeholders
· Operates with a high level of personal responsibility and optimism
Additional Work Demands
· Willing and able to work some early mornings, evenings or weekends as needed
· Willing and able to travel 2-3 times per year for professional development purposes
To be considered for this role, you must submit an online application. Please apply at http://jobs.teachforamerica.org/. For more information, please contact email@example.com or visit www.teachforamerica.org/about-us/careers.
Benefits and Salary
Salary for this position is competitive and depends on prior experience. In addition, a comprehensive benefits package is included. Learn more at www.teachforamerica.org/about-us/careers/employee-benefits.
Commitment to Diversity and Equal Opportunity Employment Policy
Teach For America encourages individuals of all ethnic, racial, and socioeconomic backgrounds to apply for this position. We are committed to maximizing the diversity of our organization, as we want to engage all those who can contribute to this effort. Learn more about our diversity on staff: www.teachforamerica.org/about-us/careers/life-at-tfa/workforce-diversity-and-inclusiveness.
Teach For America is committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all qualified individuals and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age, marital status, veteran status, pregnancy, parental status, genetic information or characteristics (or those of a family member) or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
This job description reflects Teach For America's assignment of essential functions and qualifications of the role. Nothing in this herein restricts management's right to assign, reassign or eliminate duties and responsibilities to this role at any time.