Location: John H. Stroger Hospital / Department : Main Operating Room
Shift: 10:30pm - 6:30am
Under the supervision of the Registered Nurse (RN) and/or Physician (s), prepares surgical equipment and supplies and provides direct assistance during operations. Performs scrub duties and responsibilities. Assists with the cleaning and sterilization of instruments and equipment after surgery. Applies the principles of infection control as sepsis in the performance of duties. Follows all established Operating Room policies and procedures.
- Must have completed an approved Operating Room/Surgical Technician or Military Program (Must provide proof at time of interview)
- Must be a Certified Surgical Technologist (Must provide proof at time of interview)
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Working knowledge of the standard concepts, practices and procedures of an operating room
- Through knowledge of the standard methods of cleaning and maintaining operating room instruments, equipment, and supplies
- Demonstrated knowledge of the standard preparation of patients for surgery and post-surgery procedures
- Thorough knowledge of the procedures used in performing the duties and responsibilities of a Scrub Attendant
- Demonstrate awareness of patient and family rights, ethical, legal, cultural, and spiritual concerns
- Ability to bend, lift, and push heavy objects
- Ability to stand, stoop, and reach for extended periods
- Ability to distinguish basic colors, and shades
- Ability to hear with or without device assistance
- Ability to recognize age specific instruments and equipment needs for pediatric, adult, and geriatric patients
- Ability to directly assist physicians and nurses with operating room procedures
- Ability to apply the principles of infectious control and a sepsis in performing duties
- Ability to maintain a safe and comfortable environment for patients
When applying for employment with the Cook County Health & Hospitals System, preference is given to honorably discharged Veterans who have served in the Armed Forces of the United States for not less than 6 months of continuous service
- To take advantage of this preference a Veteran must:
- Meet the minimum qualifications for the position.
- Identify self as a Veteran on the employment application by answering yes to the question by answering yes to the question, “Are you a Military Veteran?”
- Attach a copy of their DD 214, DD 215 or NGB 22 (Notice of Separation at time of application filing. Please note: If you have multiple DD214s, 215s, or NGB 22S, Please submit the one with the latest date. Coast Guard must submit a certified copy of the military separation from either the Department of Transportation (Before 9/11) or the Department of Homeland Security (After 9/11). Discharge papers must list and Honorable Discharge Status. Discharge papers not listing an Honorable Discharge Status are not acceptable
A copy of a valid State ID Card or Driver’s License which identifies the holder of the ID as a Veteran, may also be attached to the application at time of filing.
If items are not attached, you will not be eligible for Veteran Preference
VETERANS MUST PROVIDE ORIGINAL APPLICABLE DISCHARGE PAPERS OR APPLICABLE STATE ID CARD OR DRIVER’S LICENSE AT TIME OF INTERVIEW
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Coverage
- Basic Term Life Insurance
- Pension Plan
- Deferred Compensation Program
- Paid Holidays, Vacation, and Sick Time
- You may also qualify for the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program (PSLF)
For further information on our excellent benefits package, please click on the following link: http://www.cookcountyrisk.com/
MUST MEET REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS AT TIME OF APPLICATION
*Degrees awarded outside the United States with the exception of those awarded in one of the United States' territories and Canada must be credentialed by an approved U.S. credential evaluation service belonging to the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES) or the Association of International Credential Evaluators (AICE). Original credentialing documents must be presented at time of interview.
*Please note all offers of Employment are contingent upon the following conditions: satisfactory professional & employment references, healthcare and criminal background checks, appropriate licensure/certifications and the successful completion of a physical and pre-employment drug screen.
*CCHHS is strictly prohibited from conditioning, basing or knowingly prejudicing or affecting any term or aspect of County employment or hiring upon or because of any political reason or factor.
COOK COUNTY HEALTH AND HOSPITALS SYSTEM IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER