The candidate will be responsible for the management and trading of portfolios across Northern Trust’s suite of long duration taxable Fixed Income products. The portfolio manager will actively manage portfolio positioning, trade to reposition accounts, make sector recommendations, and contribute to portfolio strategy discussions. Candidate must demonstrate a passion for investments, strong quantitative skills, and excellent analytical/communication/computer skills.
- Manages bond portfolios across Northern Trust’s suite of long duration taxable fixed income products.
- Implements portfolio strategy through duration/yield curve, sector allocation (corporate, mortgage, treasury, municipal, and asset-backed bonds), and security selection levers in relation to the portfolio performance index and current fixed income policy.
- Participates in daily/weekly investment meetings and engages in investment discussions.
- Makes sector recommendations, assesses relative value, and generates trade ideas.
- Monitors portfolio returns to determine results and the portfolio’s strategy to determine appropriateness given changing bond markets and client objectives.
- Facilitates periodic client meetings to assess performance, strategy, reporting etc.
- Deep understanding of the evolution of the ETF and the Smart Beta category with knowledge of products, competitors, the capital markets ecosystem and trading, including: deep knowledge of the ETF creation/redemption process and various transaction types; understanding of risk factor models as well as performance attribution and sources of risk and return relative to a benchmark; exposure to a factor-based and alternatively weighted index methodologies, not just market cap-weighted products is ideal
- An ability to partner with other investment teams on investment and operational risk and proactively contribute to improvements in portfolio management, operational and risk management process
- Strong technical and analytical skills, a background in quantitative research and the tools used to develop and implement factor based models; programming skills would be a plus
- Experience leading a team of other PM's would be a plus
- Demonstrated ability to assess information, make timely decisions, and prioritize numerous tasks.
- Driven and highly motivated
- Intellectually curious
- High energy team player
- Adaptable, willingness to be flexible as the product suite business grows
- strong work ethic
- high level of personal and professional integrity
- At least 5-7 years of investment management and financial markets experience, including portfolio management, trading, and quantitative research.
- CFA or advanced degree preferred
For more than a century, Northern Trust has worked hard building our legacy of outstanding service, expertise and integrity. From a Chicago-based bank founded in 1889, we now have more than 20 international locations and 16,500 employees globally. We serve the world’s most-sophisticated clients – from sovereign wealth funds and the wealthiest individuals and families, to the most-successful hedge funds and corporate brands.
We burnished our reputation as a global leader delivering innovative investment management, asset and fund administration, fiduciary and banking solutions enabled by sophisticated, leading technology. And through it all, we continually laid a solid, forward-looking foundation on which future generations can continue growing and achieving greater.
As of September 30, 2017, Northern Trust Corporation had:
$131 billion in banking assets
$7.8 trillion in assets under custody
$9.7 trillion in assets under custody/administration
$1.1 trillion in assets under management
Chicago, Illinois, United States | Madison Bldg-Chgo, IL