Since 1918, it has been TIAA’s mission to serve, our ability to perform and the values we embrace that make us a different kind of financial services organization. We’re dedicated to serving the financial needs of those in the academic, medical, cultural, governmental and research fields, and committed to helping make lifetime financial well-being possible for them.
By building a culture that allows all employees to contribute their unique talents and skills, we’re able to provide our customers with fresh ideas and distinct perspectives to help them achieve their goals. We believe a diverse and inclusive workforce is one of our greatest strengths and a key measure of our success*.
For more information about TIAA, visit our website.
Leads integrated team in strengthening the company's overall relationship with key decision makers and/or gatekeepers at client institutions. Quarterbacks all aspects of strategic internal and external alliances including senior management and consultant contacts, strategic business planning and service reviews, plan economic reviews, revenue sharing arrangements and investment menu architecture and performance discussions. Is the primary strategic contact for some of TIAA’s largest institutions in the Washington, DC metropolitan marketplace. Significant participation on key initiatives and task forces across the company. Discerns, develops and drives client strategy for meeting goals.
- Demonstrated expert relationship management skills at the most senior levels. Track record of developing business through these relationships. Expert conflict resolution skills.
- Expert application of all phases of the sales cycle, including the ability to close the sale.
- Possesses the knowledge and gravitas to function as a spokesperson for TIAA at industry events
- Expert written and oral presentations skills; ability to create executive summaries
- Well-developed leadership skills, including the ability to increase organizational capability through coaching and mentoring of more junior Relationship Managers
- Ability to exert influence on corporate wide initiatives. Functions as the lead for the Institutional Retirement business on corporate initiatives.
- Developed ability to think and act strategically with goal based outcomes.
- Fully responsible and accountable for all account management activities.
- Experienced sales and relationship management professional with demonstrated leadership skills.
- Assigned to complex book of business within Region.
- Evaluates and implements new initiatives process/workflow improvements and program/policy changes.
- The role is crucial to ensure that all initiatives are executed effectively and efficiently.
- Assignments require considerable judgment, analysis and initiative in order to resolve problems and make recommendations.
- Generates and implements creative or unique solutions to solve problems.
- Balances multiple demands and competing priorities.
- Uncovers opportunities for the development of new products/services.
- Typically assigned to maintain and enhance relationships with the decision makers at the plan sponsors.
- Frequent independent interaction with Executive level Management team members
- Represents TIAA advocates & representatives to outside groups and associations
- Requires expert conflict resolution skills to maintain strong relationships.
- Works independently and provides leadership to integrated team.
- 7 or more (for Relationship Manager II level) or 10 or more (for Senior Relationship Manager) years of Institutional Retirement consultative sales and client relationship management experience.
- Proven track record of achieving significant sales results.
- Demonstrated experience developing and maintaining executive/key influencer/buyer relationships at client institutions.
- Technical expertise of financial products/services and the features/benefits of TIAA (or like) products and services.
- Experience as a mentor for other sales/relationship management staff.
- Complete understanding of IRA, 403(b), 401(a)/(k), 457(b) and (f) defined contribution plan technical rules, including nondiscrimination rules and ERISA requirements, with an advanced understanding of retirement plan design for our institutions. Able to assist client's outside counsel and/or legal counsel on plan design as applicable. Knowledge of defined benefit plans as they relate to TIAA's business.
- Strong presentation skills with the ability to prepare executive summaries using Microsoft’s PowerPoint, Excel and Word applications.
- Ability to perform ~ 25-35% travel.
- Bachelor's degree; Master’s in Business or Finance preferred.
- Requires FINRA Series 6 (or 7) and 63 registrations.
- Requires resident state insurance license, and non-resident licenses for all states in which the Relationship Manager will sell insurance products within six months of assuming position.
- May be appointed as an agent by TIAA and T-C Life.
- Must comply with all regulatory requirements and remain in good standing with regulatory agencies.
- May attain additional industry certifications and designations (CEBS, etc.)
LOCATION: Candidate may be based in Washington, DC metropolitan marketplace to include: Washington, DC, Baltimore, MD or Fairfax, VA office locations (in area/market candidates desired).
IMPORTANT NOTE: Position to be filled at Relationship Manager II or Senior Relationship Manager level depending on candidate experience.
Equal Employment Opportunity is not just the law, it’s our commitment. Read more about the Equal Employment Opportunity Law. If you need assistance applying due to being visually or hearing impaired, please email Careers Help. We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. We will consider all qualified applicants for employment regardless of age, race, color, national origin, sex, religion, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other legally protected status. *©2015 Teachers Insurance and Annuity Association of America-College Retirement Equities Fund (TIAA-CREF), 730 Third Avenue, New York, NY 10017 C23921