The Retail Relationship Banker will ensure the customer’s needs are achieved by conducting a thorough financial needs assessment and offering the most appropriate products and services that fulfills the customer’s immediate and future financial needs. Under direct supervision, the Retail Relationship Banker will generate leads, build new and maintain existing customer relationships, resulting in outcomes that define great customer experience. Along with customer sales, the Retail Relationship Banker is accountable for delivering clarity to customers through simplicity, guidance, and know-how and provides ancillary support at the service line. The role is also accountable for risk and compliance management and supporting the optimal operation of the branch.
- Develop, maintain and support the sale of banking products and services by generating and following up on leads. Works with prospective and existing customers to assess potential overall banking needs.
- Identify and sell or refer appropriate banking products based on strategic analysis of customer financial needs after conducting an in-depth customer needs assessment. Deliver clarity to customers by providing simplicity, guidance, and know-how. Provide transactional support to the Service Line as well as dual functionality as applicable.
- Accept coaching observation and performance feedback from Bank Manager, Mortgage & Premier colleagues, BMO Harris Financial Advisory (BHFA) colleagues, and Private Banking Representative to improve skills and performance.
- Generate new customer relationships by consistently applying the BMO Harris Bank Sales concept to all new/ prospective customers. Cultivate and strengthen current customer relationships by staying abreast of the customer’s needs; maintain a customer needs analysis and assesses the overall financial needs of the customer; follow up when appropriate to present products and services that will meet the customer’s overall financial goals.
- Meet or exceed current sales revenue goals and BMO Linkages goals by selling and cross-selling bank products and services to retail, mortgage, premier and small business customers that satisfy the financial needs and goals of the customer; refer qualified customer leads to BHFA, Mortgage, Premier, Business Banking, Private Banking, etc. in order to successfully fulfill BMO Linkages goals.
- Retail Relationship Banker may be required to create and execute individual mortgage sales plans and revenue goals. The Banker will analyze customer financial, credit data and other relevant information to evaluate level of risk as well as present viable financial alternatives and advice to customers. The Banker will receive customer applications, quote mortgage rates/points and complete necessary follow-up activities to acquire mortgage sales.
- Have an understanding and apply basic sales skills and product knowledge including deposit and loan products.
- Conduct targeted sales calls (phone or in-person [with Bank Manager, when appropriate]).
- Work collaboratively with the Retail Team and all lines of business to improve the customer experience; inspire trust and motivate others, embrace opportunities for learning, partner with colleagues and share knowledge while embracing the BMO Harris Bank Customer Promise.
Relationship Management/Customer Experience
- Take full ownership of customer interactions from beginning to end, providing both sales and service support.
- Define great customer experience by consistently providing exceptional customer service, consisting of a friendly demeanor, sense of urgency and willingness to assist the customer at all times, ensuring issues and requests are solved promptly, thoroughly, to the customer’s satisfaction.
- Initiate and maintain customer contact through a variety of methods, including, but not limited to face-to-face customer interaction (walk-in traffic), telemarketing and call night activity and community involvement (attending community activities that may generate new customer leads and supports Bank’s overall CRA goals and initiatives). Meet or exceed all established activity goals (face to face appointments, voice to voice calls, etc.) to drive sales and referral results.
- Build and maintain professional working relationships with all internal employees of BMO Harris Bank, including but not limited to Private Bank, BMO Harris Financial Advisor, Mortgage, Business Banking, Distribution, Customer Experience and Sales Integration (CESI) to ensure customer satisfaction is achieved.
- Reviews and evaluates all documentation submitted for referrals and/or processing to ensure completeness and accuracy in order to increase approval, transaction and turnaround times.
- Actively participates in team huddles and sales meetings to ensure that branch goals are achieved.
- Coach and partner with the Service Team to ensure desired number of qualified sales referrals is achieved; provide product update and just-in-time training during branch huddles.
- Participate in necessary operational duties as assigned
- Identifies risks associated with regulatory compliance, overdraft authority and bank secrecy act.
- Understand Operational Risk and responsibilities of day to day management
- Adheres to Bank Directives and Procedures
- Understands systems functionality and ensures transactions are input appropriately; responds to system messages to evaluate risk associated with transaction and accountable for granting overrides.
- Ensures all necessary documentation is completed for all transactions.
- Ensures all security measures are followed.
- Meets all CFPB and Safe Act requirements
- 100% adherence to branch’s internal policies and procedures to ensure 100% pass rates of internal audits.
- Complete all sales reports thoroughly and in a timely manner.
- Keep informed of laws and regulations that affect compliance issues relating to banking products and services.
- Adherence to all operational, regulatory and security requirements, directives and procedures while minimizing losses.
- Deliver customer satisfaction while embracing the operational policies.
- Provide guidance, direction and effective coaching to Retail Bank Team to ensure individuals have a working (proficiency) level of the retail sales environment.
- Keep abreast of updated systems, policies, products and services by participating in all applicable systems, retail and product focused training.
- 100% compliance with bank’s regulatory training.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Associate’s degree or equivalent work experience required; college degree preferred.
- Working to in-depth knowledge of all retail bank products and services
- 1-3 years of banking experience or 1-3 years previous experience in a customer contact/sales position or equivalent required
- Working to in-depth knowledge of state and federal laws and regulation related to Fair Lending and other applicable regulations.
- Excellent sales skills
- Ability to influence – asking for the business and closing the sale
- Strong interpersonal and verbal/written communication skills
- Strong organization skills
- Analytical aptitude a must
- Excellent team player
- Self-starter & assertive
- Attention to detail is critical
- Ability to multi-task
For employees who will be working in the U.S. the following applies: This position will act as an originator of consumer loans as defined by the Secure and Fair Enforcement for Mortgage Licensing Act (the S.A.F.E. Act) and the Bank will instruct you on how to comply with the requirement to register with the Nationwide Mortgage Licensing System Registry.
At BMO Harris Bank, we have been helping our customers and communities for over 130 years. Working with us means being part of a team of talented, passionate individuals with a shared focus on working together to deliver great customer experiences. We stand behind your success with the support you need to turn your potential into performance.
To find out more visit our website at www.bmoharris.com/careers.
BMO Harris Bank is committed to an inclusive, equitable and accessible workplace. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. By embracing diversity, we gain strength through our people and our perspectives. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information.